Saturday, July 17, 2010

Rory McIlroy ,gone with the wind, slams British Open chiefs


Rory McIlroy has slammed British Open organizers after he and other golfers were pulled off the course for 40 minutes during a delay caused by howling winds.

McIlroy has opened with consecutive pars but fell apart after the wind delay and ended with a horror round of 80

Play was halted after McIlroy had scored three pars and hit a perfect drive down the middle of the fairway on the fourth hole.

McIlroy said: “I don’t think they should have called us off the golf course.


“When we got back out there the ­conditions hadn’t changed. The wind ­probably got a little worse. It wasn’t a smart move.


“I’m not trying to make excuses – I didn’t hit the ball well after the restart and put myself in places to make a good score – but during the delay we spent 40 minutes on a bus not really doing much.


“I just don’t think they should have called us off the course in the first place.”

“I let it get away from me and I actually did well to par the last three. It could have been an 82 or 83. It’s a roller coaster ride, with more downs than ups for me. I was starting to get very frustrated.”